Helping Families Thrive
Helping Families Thrive
Who We Are: Focus on the Family Malaysia is a non-profit organization set up with a clear vision to strengthen families. We are committed to strengthening the family unit so as to encourage and promote an enriched family life for all.
Vision: Enriched families and communities nationwide.
Mission: We are committed to nurture, support & protect traditional values and the institution of the family.
Our Audience, Ministry Strategies, Core Programs and Core Values.
Our core audience are:
- Married couples
- Youth (Teenagers)
No matter who you are, what you’re going through or what challenges your family may be facing, we’re here to help.
3-Fold Strategy: Nurture, Support, and Protect
- Nurture: We educate, inspire and strengthen families.
- Support: We provide relevant resources to families.
- Protect: We encourage, engage and network with professional counselors, educationists, family support organizations, governmental and resource agencies to preserve traditional values and the institution of the family.
Consider the divorce / family situation in Malaysia:
- On average, about 550 couples tied the knot each day in 2009, up almost 40 per cent from 2001, which recorded some 400 marriages a day. (Marriage still in fashion, 2010)
- In 2002, for every 9.6 marriages registered, there was 1 divorce. In 2009, in every 6.1, there was one. While # of marriages increased by 21% (153,318 to 199,586) from 2002-2009, # of divorces went up by 105% (16,013 to 32,763) during same period.
- The latest data from the police reveals that 65 babies have been dumped this year alone (2010)
- In 2009, a total of 2,048 rape cases involving girls aged 16 and below were recorded.
Divorce Rates climbing in China:
- Beijing 39%
- Shanghai 38%
Focus on the Family exists to enrich families and communities nationwide. Founded by Dr. James C. Dobson in the United States in 1977, Focus on the Family is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping families thrive. From its modest beginnings with a weekly radio program over selected stations, it is today an international ministry with offices worldwide reaching more than two million people in 155 countries.
Focus on the Family Malaysia was established in 1997 by Lee Wee Min out of concern for the deterioration of the family unit. Today, Focus on the Family Malaysia reaches over 30,000 individuals yearly through our programs and resources.
Our goal is for Focus on the Family to not have to exist anymore. If every segment of society is conscious and intentional in building strong families, our job is done.
Lee Wee Min, Executive Director
- Lee Wee Min (Executive Director & Chairman)
- Gerald Perara
- Ba U Shan-Ting
- Gloriosa Rajendran
- Mary Chan
- Stanley Lim
- Dato' Lee Hwa Beng
- Ho Kien Keong
- Lee Wee Min (Executive Director)
- Benny Kong (General Manager)
- Carol Chan (Personal Assistant)
- Joshua Liong (Southern Office & Curriculum)
- Lai Moo Him (Northern Office & Partnerships)
- Andrea Kong (Events)
- Anne Liew (Products)
- Choong Mun Chun (Graphics Designer)
- Chi Pin Hwa (Programs/Chinese)
- Grace Kee (Partnerships)
- Peter Chang (Programs/Youth)
- Andrew Yeoh (Corporate Services)
- Angie Ng (Accounts & Finance)
- Fabian Cornelious (Programs)
- Janet Lucas (Corporate Services)
- Lesley Cheong (Programs/Youth)
- Lim Hui Jun (Communications)
- Patience Chen (Programs/Youth)
- Sarah Yong (Graphics Designer)
- Asmita Fritschi (Products)
- Phua Ah Eng (Family Support Services)