Q&A: Managing my anger

Q: I’ve got a big problem in how I speak to my wife and children; too often, I fly off the handle and yell at everybody. I desperately want to be a better husband and father, and I need to change my behaviour. Do you have any suggestions?

A: You’ve taken an important first step by realising that you have a problem with anger and verbal abuse. In a very real sense, that’s more than half the battle, and we commend you for it.

You can start moving in the right direction by getting some intensive counselling with a professional marriage and family therapist. This might involve extended sessions (up to three hours each) for several days in succession. Our Family Support Services can help you with referrals to counselling services in your area; call us at 03-7954 7920 or write to support@family.org.my.

As you go forward, remember that anger is often fuelled by feelings of fear, hurt and shame (a sense of not being good enough). Counselling will help you identify these triggering patterns. It will teach you new coping skills and help you practice more effective communication techniques. It will also uncover underlying wounds and highlight “re-enactment behaviours” resulting from unfinished business with your family of origin and/or difficult life experiences. This in turn will enable you to avoid the reactionary type of language that can take such a devastating emotional toll on the people around you.

© 2018 Focus on the Family.  All rights reserved.  Used by permission.


Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on email



The Inner Lives Of Husbands

Believe it or not, women have many misconceptions about men – and those perceptions often affect our relationships. Discover what a loving wife needs to consider in order to give her spouse confidence to become the man he is called to be.

Read More >


Behaviour and Consequences

Correcting bad behaviour needs to start in the early years. Train your children up for the real world by disciplining them with the effective use of positive and negative consequences.

Read More >

The Real Job of Mums

What is a mum’s primary job? A nurturing mum goes beyond being the “maintenance person” in the family. She demonstrates by example how to explore life with zest and express the unique gifts of her child.

Read More >